AAMVA logo

National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) Consumer Access
State Vehicle Record Request Information

April 2022

Note: Hawaii does not appear on this list since they do not yet have data in NMVTIS.

State NameHow to Request a State Vehicle Record

Persons eligible under the Driver Privacy Protection Act and Alaska statutes may obtain an Alaska Motor Vehicle Record.

Complete a Request for Vehicle Record Form 851, sign and date the form, submit payment and any required documents to the Alaska DMV. There is a $10 fee for each record. Government agencies are not charged for this service.

By Mail
Division of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Research
1300 W Benson Blvd, Ste. 200
Anchorage, AK 99506-3600
By Fax
(907) 269-5202
By Email
Forms URL

If you are the owner of record on the Arizona title, you may purchase a Title and Registration Motor Vehicle Record (MVR):

  • Online through the Motor Vehicle Record-Title and Registration request service on ServiceArizona.com
  • By mail using the Motor Vehicle Record Request form 46-4416

If you are a prospective buyer of a vehicle currently titled in Arizona, you may ask the vehicle owner to provide you with an Arizona MVR prior to purchase of the vehicle.

  • Vehicles that have not been titled or registered in Arizona during the last 5 years may not be eligible for an MVR.
  • A Title and Registration MVR contains the following information: Owner, vehicle, lien and brand.

Arkansas is under the federal Driver’s Privacy Act and will not give out information belonging to someone else. If you need information from when you owned the vehicle you may send in a written request along with a copy of your driver’s license to request the information.

Your request must contain the following:

  1. Vehicle specifics such as description of vehicle, VIN, license plate number or name with address for an alpha search.
  2. Reason for requesting the information.
  3. Fees are $1.00 for owner/lien holder information and $1.00 for each copy of documents requested such as bill of sale, contracts, etc.

Mail your request to:

Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicles
Records Unit, Room 1100
P. O. Box 1272
Little Rock, AR 72203

If you need additional information you may contact our Information/Records Unit by phone at 501-682-4692 or by fax at 501-682-4756 or by email at MVInformation@dfa.arkansas.gov

6ColoradoCustomer can request vehicle record information by completing a DR2489A and submitting $2.20 for the record search. Information can be found at https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/vehicle-record-searches. The DR2489A can be found at https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2489A.pdf.

State of Connecticut

Dept of Motor Vehicles

Records Information

60 State St

Wethersfield, CT 06161 (860) 263-5700

9District of Columbia

Persons eligible under D.C. Official Code § 1401.01b (the D.C. Driver Privacy Protection Act (“DPPA”) (D.C. Official Code § 1401.01b)), may obtain an unredacted Motor Vehicle Record by mail by submitting the request, along with payment and any required documents in accordance with the DPPA to D.C. DMV, P.O. Box 90120, Washington, DC 20090.

Or, a request can be made under the same eligibility requirements through the Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”), which should include supporting documentation https://dmv.dc.gov/page/open-government-and-freedom-information-act-foia. If the FOIA request is made by mail, payment should also be included. If the request is made on-line, the requestor will be informed as to how payment is to be made.

There is a $7.00 fee for a title information request. Government agencies are not charged a fee.

10FloridaTo request a Motor Vehicle record: https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/90510.pdf
For Motor Vehicle information check: https://services.flhsmv.gov/MVCheckWeb/

An Idaho Motor Vehicle Record is available to individuals and businesses who can provide the vehicle identification number (VIN) and title number, and are authorized to receive this information under the federal Driver Privacy Protection Act and the provisions of Idaho Code § 49-203.

Complete a Request for Vehicle Record online at https://www.accessidaho.org/itd/driver/mvr/index  or by completing and submitting a Motor Vehicle Request Form 3374 with a signature, date, and payment. Credit Card orders may be sent via fax or email.

By Mail
Idaho Department of Transportation
Attn: Motor Vehicle Records
PO Box 34
Boise, ID 83707-0034
By Fax
(208) 287-3885
By Email
Forms URL

Persons eligible under the Driver Privacy Protection Act and Illinois statutes may obtain an Illinois Motor Vehicle Record.
Inquiries about registration and title records should be directed to:

Secretary of State

Motor Vehicle Records Division, Record Inquiry Section

501 S. Second St., Rm. 408

Springfield, IL 62756

217-782-6992 or 217-785-3000

Information Request Form:


14Indianahttps://www.in.gov/bmv/titles/title-forms/ Under the heading: “Obtaining a Vehicle or Watercraft Record” select “Request for Certified Records - State Form 53789”
15IowaIowa Department of Transportation
Office of Vehicle and Motor Carrier Services
P.O. Box 9278
Des Moines, IA 50306-9278

Telephone (515) 237-3110
Fax (515) 237-3056
16KansasPersons eligible under the Driver Privacy Protection Act and Kansas State statutes may obtain a Kansas Motor Vehicle Record.
For online inquiries (subscriber service only) - https://www.kansas.gov/mvr/
By mail - submit the completed form and applicable payment: https://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/trdl302.pdf
Kansas Division of Vehicles
PO Box 2505
Topeka, Kansas 66601-2505
17KentuckyUse form TC96-16G-Request for Motor Vehicle or Boat Record that Includes Personal Information-Government Agency Use Only found at http://transportation.ky.gov/Organizational-Resources/Forms/TC%2096-16g.pdf. Submit according to mail-in directions on form. Current record retention is five years.
45 Commerce Drive, Suite 10
Augusta, Maine 04330
Phone (207) 621-2600 or (207) 512-5605
Toll-Free (877) 212-6500
Fax (207) 621-9950
General Email: info@informe.org
For subscriber information: (207) 621-2600 x038

Maryland motor vehicle record information may be requested by submitting an MVA Request for Record found on our website at https://mva.maryland.gov/Documents/DR-057.pdf

  • Applications will need to be mailed to:

    6601 Ritchie Hwy NE
    Glen Burnie MD 21062
    Attn: Room 145 (for driving records) or Room 202 (for vehicle records)

Instructions on how to submit the application can be found on the Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration’s website at https://mva.maryland.gov/Pages/driver-record-questions.aspx#:~:text=A%20business%20may%20download%20the,202%20(for%20vehicle%20records).

21Massachusettshttps://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/TitleLookup/intro.aspx. Please select “Title/Lien inquiry” and follow instructions.

Driver and vehicle records are released in compliance with Driver Privacy Protection Laws. For more information, visit the Michigan Department of State website at: www.Michigan.gov/sos.

Complete Records: Complete driver and vehicle records may be requested through the Record Lookup Unit at 517-335-6198. Records are $11 each ($12 for a certified record) and provided at no charge to government agencies.

Form BDVR-154 is used for an individual or commercial organization requesting their own or another person’s record. Form BDVR-153 is used for Account holder record lookup requests. Form BDVR-155 is for use by government agencies. These forms are available on https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1631_11465---,00.html.

Bulk Data: Bulk data is available through the List Sales Program. Address inquiries to ListSales@Michigan.gov. Bulk records are record extracts (primarily header information) and do not contain driving, title or registration history.

23Minnesotahttps://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Pages/records-forms.aspx  or call DVS Records Office, (651) 296- 2940.

If you are the owner of record on the Missouri title, you may purchase a title and/or registration motor vehicle record by completing request form 5499, Request From Record Holder form. Form and fee may be submitted by:

  • Visiting a Missouri Motor Vehicle licensing office. Office listing and business information may be found at http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/offloc/
  • Mail: Missouri Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Bureau-Record Center, P.O. Box 2048, Jefferson City, MO 65105-2048
  • Fax (573) 526-7060
  • E-Mail: mvrecords@dor.mo.gov

Vehicle owner will receive documentation containing requested owner, vehicle, lien, and/or registration information; however, this documentation may not be used in place of the Missouri title for transfer of ownership. For information on obtaining a duplicate Missouri title, visit http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/titlerep.php  or call (573) 526-3669 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. CT.

If you are the not owner of record on the Missouri title, Missouri record information may be requested by submitting the request form and fee for each record. If personal information is requested, the requestor will submit Request for Motor Vehicle Records with Personal Information form, Form 5091. When no personal information is requested, the completion of form Request for Information, Form 4803  is required. Refer to form for fee assessment.

Forms may be found at https://dor.mo.gov/forms/5091.pdf  or https://dor.mo.gov/forms/4803.pdf.

Public Records Request Review

Prior to release, public record requests are reviewed for permissible uses allowable by federal and state laws. DOL will either provide you with:

  • The record information you seek or notification in writing with an explanation that prevents release of the record you seek.
29New Hampshirehttp://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/dsmv505.pdf
30New JerseyBusinesses may access applications and obtain information through the NJMVC records website:
Individuals may submit a written request for a variety of records: 
31New Mexico

New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division Joseph Montoya Building
P.O. Box 1028
1100 South St. Francis Drive Santa Fe 87504-1028
Telephone 888-683-4636 or 888-MVD-INFO

Download/fill out Confidential Records Release form 
Use this form if:

  • You would like to obtain a vehicle record

Special Instructions: In addition to taking this form to an MVD office, this form is eligible to be faxed to (505) 827-2783 and include your name and phone number.

32New Yorkhttp://dmv.ny.gov/get-my-own-vehicle-and-title-record-abstract
33North Carolinahttps://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/offices-services/records-reports/Pages/vehicle-records.aspx
34North Dakota

North Dakota vehicle record information may be requested by submitting the Request for Vehicle Information - SFN 51269. Instructions and fees are explained on the form.

Forms can be found on the NDDOT home page web site at

Complete and fax or mail to the fax number or mailing address provided on this form.

38PennsylvaniaIf you are the owner of the vehicle, you may purchase a vehicle history by downloading a Request for Vehicle Information (DL-135) from http://www.dmv.state.pa.us. Click on “Forms and Publications”, “All Motor Vehicle Forms, Publications and FAQ’s,” and DL-135. Forms must be mailed to PennDOT for processing.
39Rhode Islandhttp://www.dmv.ri.gov/registrations/titles/index.php
40South Carolina


If you are a prospective buyer of a vehicle currently titled in South Carolina, you may request a South Carolina title history by submitting a completed Request for Vehicle Information form (Form 5027-A) to SCDMV, P.O. Box 1498, Blythewood, SC 29016-1498.

The title history for the vehicle will include odometer information and all supporting documentation on file. The cost for the Title History is $6.00. Make checks payable to SCDMV.

41South DakotaPlease submit to the following: motorv@state.sd.us

Persons eligible under the Driver Privacy Protection Act and Tennessee State statutes may obtain a TN State Motor Vehicle Record.

Complete a Vehicle Information Request, Form RV-F1313801, sign and date the form, submit payment and any required documents to the Dept. of Revenue, Vehicle Services Division. The fee depends upon what is requested, this information can be found on our form. Government agencies are not charged for this service.

By Mail
Vehicle Services Division
500 Deaderick St.
Nashville, TN 37243
By Fax
615-253-8650 (only for government agencies)
By Email
VehicleServices.Research@tn.gov (only for government agencies)

Forms URL

The consumer must:

  1. Complete and sign the Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information (Form VTR-275) located here http://www.txdmv.gov/forms.
  2. Certify by initialing their intended use of the information on the back of the form
  3. Submit a completed and signed Form VTR-275 with a copy of the customer’s government issued photo ID, written authorization and required documentation, if applicable, by mail. Or visit a Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) Regional Service Center for assistance.
  4. Include payment ($5.75 for title history or $6.75 for a certified title history) in the form of a personal check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to TxDMV. Do not mail cash. Fees are not refundable. If the requested information will be used in legal purposes, a “certified title history” is recommended.

To contact the department, please visit: http://www.txdmv.gov/contact-us.


If you are the owner of record on the Utah state title, you may purchase a Title and Registration Motor Vehicle Record by completing Utah form TC-890. Once completed please mail the form and payment to the address listed on the form.

If you are not the owner, please review the other authorized reasons listed on our form. If you can meet one of these conditions, you may be entitled to the motor vehicle information.

You can obtain this form on-line at www.dmv.utah.gov

  • Vehicles that have not been titled or registered in Utah during the last 10 years may not be eligible for a record search.
  • The owner name, vehicle information, lien holder and any brands will be provided.
45VermontTelephone: 802-828-2000 or by email at DMV.InformationUnit@vermont.gov
46VirginiaFor a Prospective Purchaser Inquiry (PPI) on a vehicle titled in Virginia go to www.dmvnow.com. On DMV’s home page, go to the bottom of the page under General Information  and click on Obtaining DMV Records. Once on the screen titled Obtaining DMV Records, look down the list of available transactions for Vehicle History Reports and click on the Prospective Purchaser Inquiry (PPI).

Washington State vehicle record information may be requested by submitting a Vehicle Record Request form to the Department of Licensing.

  • Access the DOL home page web site at http://www.dol.wa.gov
    • Click on “Get a Form”, located in the center grey part of the home page
    • Click on “…more forms by title” then scroll down the list to find the form called “Public Record Request-Public disclosure”
    • At the top of the form, in the first paragraph, click on the link for a complete list of public disclosure forms, www.dol.wa.gov/forms/formspd.html. Scroll down this list to the second heading titled: “Vehicle or boat information”
    • Click on the second bullet in the list called: “Vehicle Record Request”
    • Complete and email, mail, or fax as indicated on the second page of this form. Or  call the Vehicle/Vessel Record Disclosure unit at (360) 359-4002 and we will mail or fax the form to you.
  • Your request will be acknowledged within five business days of receipt.

Public Records Request Review

Prior to release, Vehicle/Vessel public records requests are reviewed for permissible uses allowable by federal and state laws. DOL will either provide you with:

  • The records you seek or notify you in writing with an explanation of the applicable statutory exemptions that prevent release of the records, along with an explanation of how those exemptions apply, in whole or in part.
48West VirginiaContact our Records Management Unit at (304) 926-3909 or go to https://transportation.wv.gov/DMV/Forms/Pages/Search-Results.aspx?Title=&DMVFormNumber=dmv-100-tr&DMVFormCategory= and download and complete form DMV100 “Request for Vehicle Information” and either mail or take to our Vehicle Services section at the main DMV office in Kanawha City, WV with the applicable fees.

Wisconsin vehicle record information can be requested by submitting the Vehicle/Driver Record Information Request form, MV2896  and a $5.00 fee for each record. If personal information is being requested, the form needs to have one of the boxes checked authorizing release of personal information.


Additional information related to privacy of WI motor vehicle records can be found at: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/license-drvs/rcd-crsh-rpt/privacy.aspx.


If you are the owner of record on the title, you must contact the County Clerk in the county that the title was issued to order a duplicate title. If you are the registered owner of record on the registration, you must contact the County Treasurer in the county that the license plate and registration was issued to order a duplicate registration or replace a lost or stolen license plate.

The County Clerk’s and County Treasurer’s telephone numbers are listed on our website at http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/titles_plates_registration.html.

For a title search, we follow the Federal Privacy Disclosure Act. If you qualify, you may complete our Privacy Disclosure Agreement and pay $5.00 for each title search. The Agreement is found on our website at